If you're the one who checks for "organic" labels while buying your tea, here's a fun fact for you: Only 6% of the tea produced worldwide actually meets those voluntary-sustainability standards (1). We all desire natural and organic goodness in our cups, don’t we? Octavius Tea is passionate about sustainability, and this keeps us moving ahead and demonstrating how tea manufacturing can be a source for nurturing and protecting our planet.
In this blog post, we will explore how our farming methods make a difference in the tea industry through environmental and ethical practices.
Sustainable Farming Practices
Sustainability means meeting the needs of the present without compromising the needs of the future. It has to be incorporated in such a way that it balances economic, social, and environmental factors. Even in the tea industry, it is essential to ensure that we manufacture tea that doesn't harm our Mother Earth or the people involved in the preparation. It's our commitment to preserve the land, protect biodiversity, and ensure a brighter future for generations to come.
At Octavius Tea, we are dedicated to conserving wildlife, preserving precious wetlands, and making efforts to enrich the environment. Here's how we do it:
- We ensure that the soil quality stays fertile and nourished by focusing on using natural methods
- Our water management practices ensure efficient use of it without waste
- When we say organic, we mean it! We use organic manure to nurture our tea plants, providing them with the best nutrients while keeping the environment free from harmful pollutants
- We take every step to reduce the pesticide load, ensuring a healthier environment
- We only use approved and safe pesticides.
Apart from sustainable farming practices, our commitment extends to our workers on tea plantations. We provide them with essential facilities like medical care, education, subsidies on food grains, access to clean water, and mobile crèches for infants while their mothers are busy plucking the leaves.
Magic of Agroforestry
Imagine tea plants and trees chilling together like best friends. It's like a tea party in the forest! This is agroforestry that promotes biodiversity and helps combat climate change, which means a healthier ecosystem. Sip your black tea or green tea and know you're sipping on a cup that's connected to a greener Earth.
Sustainable Packaging and Supply Chain
When it comes to packaging, we offer sustainable packaging in every product category. We are committed to recycling, which not only reduces waste but also saves thousands of trees every year. Here are some of the ways we make sustainability a priority in our packaging:
- Most of our packaging is biodegradable
- Our tin and wooden boxes can be recycled and reused
- At our plantations, we take extra care to use reusable or recyclable bulk bags to package our teas. It helps to reduce the use of polythene and minimize its impact on our environment.
So no more guilty feelings when you toss out the empty tea pouch!
Consumer Choices and Environmental Impact
You, too, as a consumer, can bring about change and aid in sustainability by making proper choices that can have a great impact on the environment and the tea industry. Opt for loose leaf teas that create less waste. Look for tea brands with eco-friendly certifications, like organic and fair trade. When you choose Octavius Tea, you're supporting a brand that's all about sustainability practices and the goodness of the people involved in tea farming.
Here are a few tips on how you can promote sustainability:
- Our tin boxes can be the perfect organizers for your stationery or even your kitchen essentials. Imagine our handcrafted wooden box as your charming jewelry box!
- Get your artistic vibes flowing and bring a touch of nature into your home! Transform our tin boxes into planters Our tin boxes can be transformed into beautiful planters.
- Don't toss those used Darjeeling tea bags or loose tea leaves after enjoying your cup of tea! Instead, create your own organic fertilizer for your plants. Collect waste, add it to a compost bin, and get natural manure.
Pause, take a deep breath, and savor the little moments in a day with a cup filled with goodness that preserves nature.
At Octavius Tea, we're proud to be part of sustainable farming practices, eco-friendly packaging, wildlife conservation, and caring for our workers. We strive to be a brand that you can feel good about supporting. With our green tea, black tea, or any wellness tea collection, you can indulge in your favorite cup of tea, knowing that you're nurturing the planet and supporting a brand with a cause. Join us on this journey of sustainability, and let's sip responsibly together.
Shop for our teas now!
(1) In 2016, only 6.6% of the global tea production was voluntary-sustainability standards compliant. Voora V., Bermúdez S., Larrea C. 2019. Global Market Report: Tea. Sustainable Commodities Marketplace Series 2019.